Week 1 - Class Discussion
You represent a transport consultancy and have been asked to advise Transport for London on designing a new route in the London Underground, which would help alleviate congestion across the network.
Please review the files posted on the CIVE60008 Box folder , and work with your groups to provide answers to the below questions.
- Describe the purpose of the files included in the dataset.
- What tools would you use to understand and analyze how the passengers are using the network currently?
- Is it possible to determine, from the information provided, which routes are used by passengers to travel between stations?
- What process could you follow to determine whether any parts of the network (lines or stations) are congested?
- When planning the new route, does it make sense to consider the demand between pairs of stations? Or would it be preferable to study the network using zones? Why?
- Describe the process that you would follow to divide the network into zones. What factors would you take into account?
- As part of the construction of the new line, you may need to establish a new line. What factors would you take into account when determining the ideal locations?
- What do you think will happen to the demand levels once you introduce the new line and stations in the network? Will the overall demand remain the same?